We are a group of middle school educators who are dedicated to helping English Language Learners and Students with Disabilities to show what they know through Writing Across the Curriculum. We are currently engaged in a multi-year project that aims to empower teachers and students through Writing Across the Curriculum.
The Writing Is Thinking Vision
All students wield the language of power to engage with intellectual communities in shaping decision-making for our world.
The Writing Is Thinking Mission
Writing Is Thinking expands teacher capacity to implement powerful, content-driven writing in diverse classrooms.
1. All teachers are writing teachers.
2. All students are writers in all contents.
3. Writing experiences and opportunities must be deliberately planned.
4. Writing is not only a form of assessment, but a learning tool through which students deepen understanding.
5. All students deserve a voice in the decision-making process that shapes our world.
6. Students deserve a command of the language of power.
How can teachers systematically support ELL students and students with disabilities to express their understanding by thoughtfully implementing writing across the curriculum?
- Increase teacher capacity to implement writing across the curriculum for ELL students and students with disabilities in middle school classrooms across Boston Public Schools.
- Increase ELL students and students with disabilities capacity to demonstrate content understanding through writing across the curriculum.
Download our Logic Model